Sunday, December 14, 2008

Nonsense Nonsense Nonsense (If you say it thrice, people believe you)

It was a long and boring winter afternoon, I found

The sunlight seeped in through the broken windowpane, the ground

Was sparkling; Lying on the floor, a sleepy fly began to snore

And softly, slowly, somewhere near,

An insect whispered in my ear

And told me things that made me blush

The chocolate fudge-cake gooey mush

That gets me warm and fuzzy, I

Began to smile, began to sigh

Began to dream of rainbows and

The moonlight walks where, hand-in-hand

We'd giggle, kiss, and cootchie-coo

We'd do the things you'd want to do

If you were there with her; and she

Then crept beside me lovingly,

And kissed me on my cheek - I sighed

(I swear I think I nearly died)

But then her dad flew by my nose

He looked at me with one of those

Compound eyes he had, he frowned

And I lay writhing on the ground.

Since looks can kill, I guess I'm dead;

He looked at me, and frowned and said,

"BUZZBUZZ BUZZ!!!" I gasped, I shrieked

I yelled, I jumped, I froke, I freaked.

No honourable mammal would

Take this lying down: I stood.

I looked him in the nose, I frowned,

I bared my teeth, I turned around

I brought the kitchen knife, I stabbed

Erratically, her father grabbed

Me by my nose-hair, and he yanked;

He punched, he pounded, and he spanked

Me. And my darling, standing there

Upon the windowsill, her hair

Unkempt, her lace untied, her eyes

Were filled with tears (oh, when she cries,

Or cried – ‘cos filled with grief and woe

She slit her wrists, she stubbed her toe,

She hung herself, she stabbed her heart

She leaped before a bullock-cart

She broke her neck, she hacked her head –

I guess I’ve told you that she’s dead,

I don’t know how she died, but she

Clearly meant a lot to me.

I think I’ll go and go and cry.

But then again, I don’t know why).















Why is everything so still? So silent, still, the windowsill

Is gleaming, and my bed's so clean -

The pillows blue, the bedsheet green,

The pillow's green, the bedsheet's blue

And since I've nothing else to do

I look into the mirror and

I see myself, I wave my hand,

I wave my hand as well, I smile

I sit there smiling for a while

Then something happens, something clicks:

Reflection plays such dirty tricks -

The glass begins to sparkle, then

I see me smiling back, and when

I watch me watch me watch me see

Myself, I watch so carefully

I peer, I stare, I leer, I glare

I see me see me sitting there

But where is there? And where am I?

And who is who, and which is why

I look right back - I look to see

Me staring back quite pointlessly.

I'm quite confused, I can't make out

Exactly where I am, I doubt

I'm confident enough to state

Exactly which am I - I wait

I sit, and yawn, and roll my eyes

And then I take me by surprise:

I bang the mirror ‘gainst my head

And watch the bright and white and red

Shards of glass fall down with me

And everything’s been sorted, see?

And everything is as before

The mirror stands there by the door

And everything is as before

And I lie shattered on the floor.


2 comments:

Deboleena said...

Loved the rhythm, as always :D

There's a line repeated in there about a mammal not taking it lying down.

Try tweaking the metre a bit, next tiome. You're so good at it. Make the tempo slightly more variable.

Vile and Vicious said...

Oops! Sorry. Typo.